Key West has everything you could want for a vacation: various water activities and sports, historic tours of the island filled with literary references, a rowdy nightlife and stunning panoramic views of the sunsets. However, spend any more than 5 days in Key West and you may run out of things to do unless you’re a sun goddess (unlike myself).
We decided to fly into MIA and rent a car and make the scenic drive down the Florida Keys. There are several maps out there that feature activities and attractions at every mile marker all the way down to the end at mile 0. The drive was scenic although given the chance to go back, I would bypass the drive and fly direct into EYW airport and cut my travel time in half.
No matter what your plans are for Key West, the ideal hotel location will be on Duval Street. We stayed at Pier House which is located at the seaport end of the island. We were a minute walk from all the boating activities and amazing restaurants on the dock and 3 minutes from Mallory Square, home of the famous daily sunset celebrations. If you plan on staying at Pier House, make sure to request a room in the new building. Initially we were given a room in the older portion of the hotel and encountered several issues with it; after a quick call to the lobby we were relocated and satisfied with our new room.
Key West Bucket List:
- Have a Bloody Goose at Blue Heaven for breakfast, best Bloody Mary on the island
- Attend the sunset celebrations in Mallory Square and see all the street performers
- Explore Ernest Hemingway’s beautiful home and play with all the 6-toed cats living there
- Eat some authentic Cuban food at a local spot
- Take a photo at the “Southernmost Point in the Continental US” buoy… 90 miles to Cuba!
- Visit Kelly’s, the birthplace of PanAm and owned by Kelly McGillis of Top Gun fame
- Take a sunset cruise on a sail boat.. make sure you check the weather forecast first!
- Eat some amazing fresh seafood on the dock
- Spot the local roosters running freely around the island
Stay tuned for more posts on my Key West journey!